With Duolingo you learn a language for free, and simultaneously translate the Web
What is duolingo?
Duolingo is a free language-learning website and crowdsourced text translation platform.
The service is designed so that as users progress through the lessons, they simultaneously help to translate websites and other documents.
Spanish and German courses are available for English speakers.
The project was started by Professor Luis von Ahn and his graduate student Severin Hacker.
- Register for Duolingo
- Choose a language to learn
- Start participating and earn reputation
- Each unit is locked until you level-up to it
- You have to prove your abilities by taking a test
- Duolingo keeps track of your progress and participation
- Once you master units, Duolingo invites you to help translate the Web. You get to choose which pages you want to try and translate
- Users vote on the best translation submitted by other users, and eventually, the translated Web pages can be published so that more speakers of other languages can read them
The Duolingo Model
- Duolingo has one big advantage over other language tools: it’s FREE.
Some figures to make you understand
Hover over the words to see the translation in Spanish
Translate text in any language you choose
Translation resulted in an error and is displayed in a user friendly UI
Enter your name and hometome for teaching you basic greetings – the first step in learning any new language
Exercise to translate text in Spanish
Activate your microphone to practice speaking different languages
Your activity stream in Duolingo
Ask Questions and Translate
Follow People in Dualingo
Try it Out
- Sign up for Pingdom
- Private Beta has started